Colorado Rockies

Colorado Rockies

Friday, March 9, 2012

Second Step

After deciding to honor the strength of my friends, and fearing intrusion on their grief, I began researching diseases similar to what Anna had.  The closest one I found was Tay Sachs http://www.tay-sachs.org.  So, the daughter of one of my main characters develops this disease instead of Sanfilippo.

Not having children myself, I asked friends with daughters and sons what they would think and do if their child were diagnosed with a disease that would ultimately kill them.  Across the board the answer was, "Why would you even want to write such a thing?" 
Why indeed.

For five years Sarah and Mark and sweet little Anna have been my answer.  I have not regretted one word of my novel Ashes and Bones.  Showing love for a dying child harms no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment